There is plenty to see and do with the family in the Mary Valley.
Including farm visits, delicious local produce, natural surroundings, historical places plus much more! There are also great Annual Events in the region to enjoy with the family including your dog whilst staying at Studio 149. We have put together some suggestions below that might assist you when venturing out to explore our beautiful region.
If you are unable to take your family dog with you during the day due to activities not allowing pets – you can leave them in the secure and locked area under Studio 149 or maybe even spoil them for the day at Katie’s Ark Luxury Pet Resort! They can hang out with other dogs or pets and maybe enjoy some pampering during their stay! Katie’s Ark is only a 10 minute drive from Melawondi Spring Retreat – just near the highway turnoff (Exit 253) – Mary Valley Link road. See below for places to visit, eat and relax:
- Visit Yabba Creek parklands in Imbil – take a picnic with the family & enjoy the great outdoors along Yabba Creek – you might even spot a platypus! Great BBQ facilities and play equipment for the kids (approx 5 min drive)
- Ride on Mary – Kayak and Bike adventures – Ian Harling has extensive knowledge of the local tracks, waterways and wildlife … awesome day for the family!
- Breakfast or lunch at One2One on Yabba – perfect spot for breakfast or lunch! Great location right next to Yabba Creek Park.
- Take a Drive to Borumba Dam! Lovely country drive and maybe spot the pelicans or a few boats and check out some of the great walking tracks (approx 10 – 15 min drive)
- Visit Amamoor State Forest and walk up to the cascades in Amama (approx 10- 15 min drive) No dogs allowed.
- PYO strawberries at Cooloola Berries. Great spot to have a coffee in the cafe or enjoy a glass of wine, delicious strawberry or blueberry cider! Open 7 days per week (approx 45 min drive)
- Drive to Noosa and enjoy a picnic or swim at Noosa River (approx 45 – 40 min drive).
- Visit Kenilworth Dairies for delicious icecream and cheese tastings! (approx 20 min drive).
- Walk at Figtree after an icecream from Kenilworth Dairies.
- Eumundi Markets (Wednesday & Saturdays) approx 45 min drive.
- The Ginger Factory – Yandina (approx 35 min drive).
- Breakfast or lunch at Kandanga Kitchen (approx 5 min drive) Open Thursday to Sunday.
- Visit to Blue & White Teapot Cafe (FB page) in Amamoor – beautiful atmosphere! Open Thursday to Sunday.
- Visit Eumundi markets (only about 10 minute drive from Hinterland Feijoas). Suggest a visit to markets in morning & lunch at Hinterland Feijoas on the way back plus cheese factory for a delicious icecream and play in park area (straight across from Kenilworth Dairies)
- Yandina markets (bric n brac plus food and plants) and just around the corner from the markets try out the Ginger Factory and Nutworks.
- Feed the dolphins at Tin Can Bay (approx 1 hour drive). This is on the way from Cooloola Berries. Suggestion to get in early to feed the dolphins and a trip back to Cooloola berries to enjoy lunch and PYO strawberries!
- Noosa River and Canal Cruises – great day out whilst visiting Noosa! Check out our blog when we went out cruising in Noosa – awesome day! (approx 35 – 40 min drive).
… and if you just want to chill out and not leave Melawondi Spring Retreat you can always check out these options:
There are a few different walking tracks at Melawondi Spring Retreat leading to different views out over the valley areas. We can organise champagne and canapés at sunset or a GOURMET PICNIC HAMPER or GOURMET GRAZING PLATTER (optional extra) to enjoy on the many special spots at the retreat. We can also assist in providing more challenging options to your bushwalking experience.
Enjoy an abundance of natural wildlife on the property, including wallabies, koala, platypus and a large variety of birds. A great time to enjoy this is relaxing on the huge verandah whilst enjoying a glass of wine or 2!
Many species of birds are abundant here at Melawondi Spring Retreat. There are binoculars and a bird book located in the studio for your use during your stay.
On a clear night stars are a plenty & absolutely amazing!! There is a current monthly star chart located in the studio to assist you with locating stars and planets OR before you arrive download Night Sky app to your smartphone ready for your night show. Why not toast some marshmallows over the fire whilst sitting under the stars! Great family night out!
This workshop is an optional extra that can be tailored to suit your requirements where you can learn to navigate using map, compass and GPS. Enquire at time of booking on costs and availability.
Enjoy a private cooking class with Tanya during your stay at Melawondi Spring Retreat. All of our classes are unique and feature fresh and seasonal local produce.
The classes are hands on preparation and cooking as much as possible and will allow you to not only develop your culinary skills but also experience the very best of our regional produce. When the hard work is complete relax and enjoy a lovely meal with the family and celebrate your efforts in preparing a meal from our quality regional produce. The class includes recipes and a list of produce suppliers and farmers that have been used during your class. Enquire at time of booking on costs and availability.
You can also check out our other page of Itinerary Suggestions if not currently listed on this page.
These pages are updated regularly dependant on activities being offered in the region.
We hope you enjoy our fabulous region and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0408 736 223 or email.